Friday, April 15, 2011
Happy Birthday Anthony!
Today is Anthony's 1st birthday. Boy has it gone by fast and what a year it's been! I remember a year ago how happy and at peace I was when he was born. I also remember a few days later when he got meningitis and how scared I was that we would lose him. There is no feeling to describe how it feels to watch your baby suffering and know there is nothing you can do to help him. I am so grateful that everything turned out alright and that he is with us today. He brings such joy to all of our lives. I wanted to blog a little about him today so that I can remember how he was and how I felt about him on his 1st birthday...
Anthony is the happiest baby I have ever met. Not a day goes by where someone is not commenting about how cute and happy he is. He always has a smile for anyone. When he sees someone he doesn't know or know very well he has a habit of smiling at them and then burying his face in me. Then he starts to warm up and can't stop smiling. It is so cute. He loves to play peek a boo and smiles with his chubby little fingers covering his face.
He is very active and walks well now. I can't get him to sit on my lap for very long anymore but he always has a hug or kiss when I pick him up. Most of the day is spent walking around and seeing what he can get into that's on his level. He gets bored with his toys but loves to open cupboards, drawers, and runs for any open door to explore. He has been able to crawl up the stairs for a month or more now but last week he started being able to crawl down them too. The first time he did I was in the other room and I didn't see him until he was almost down but when I saw him he gave me the biggest smile and looked very proud of himself.
He talks a little now but me and Cory are constantly amazed at what he understands and his ability to communicate through his actions. Nobody would probably believe us but he has has said "right here" and "thank you" a few times but mostly he says "mama". I love it and it's like music to my ears. He is smart and does thing earlier than my other kids mostly I'm sure because he has big brothers and sisters to show and teach him.
He loves to play with his big brother Alex and mostly his big sister Cami. She is constantly putting him on things, feeding him, giving toys to him, and doing everything else to "mother" him. He surprisingly doesn't mind this and in fact seems like he likes the attention. With his big brother Alex he likes playing with him in the morning when Alex arises early and I haven't retrieved him from his crib yet. They are very tender together and seem to have a connection that only they have.
He is by far the most content baby in the world. He is very happy to just hang out and play with anyone that wants to. He only gets unhappy when he is tired or hungry and even then it's just grumpiness that clues me in. When it's time for nap he gets a little onry and I pick him up with his binky in his mouth and set him in his crib with lots of blankets on him and he goes right to sleep. He is really easy to put to bed as long as he has lots of blankets and his binky. With the way our busy life is I am SO grateful he is like that.
He likes to eat the same food as us and doesn't care much for baby food. I cut up healthy foods and he prefers to feed himself. His favorite fruit is grapes and bananas. He likes them so much that I have to hide them in the cart when we shop otherwise he won't stop trying to get them. He does not like carrots unless its mashed in a baby food jar (gross I know) but loves broccoli as long as it's spiced. He will eat chunks of potatoes but doesn't like the texture of mashed potatoes. Most of the time though he is very easy to feed and will happily eat whatever I make.
He is a big baby and passed the 20 pound mark at 9 months old (Cami was 1 before she did). He looks very chubby because of his chubby little cheeks, hands, and feet. But last time I took him in the doctor said he is just tall and is actually a little under his weight for his height. I think he is just cute and it's a good thing he is a little stocky because he has a little "mother" that drags him everywhere she goes! Plus he has reached all his milestones early thanks to 4 big siblings so there's been a lot of bumps and bruises along the way.
It has been challenging to say the least this year to bring a baby into our crazy busy lives but we are so grateful for him. He has been more of a blessing than anyone can imagine. It does get crazy keeping up with his constant needs but he takes everything in stride and accepts things the way they are. I have a tendency to get over busy with my life and my kids lives sometimes. He helps me to slow down each day. Keeping up with him reminds me constantly to appreciate each day with my kids.
He is our last baby and I know from experience how fast the time goes.Having the other 4 before me has taught me so much about what's important and what's alright to let go. I am still learning but with this last angel I have cuddled, kissed, smiled, let the little things go, stopped to appreciate the moment, and played more than I did with any of my other children their 1st year. I am grateful for what it's taught me and for how much it's changed me as a person and a mother.
I hope he has a wonderful birthday and that we can have many more with him!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment